Details of Alprazolam Salt (Generic Drug)
Alprazolam is a benzodiazepine. It affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in people with anxiety. Alprazolam is used to treat anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety caused by depression. You should not use alprazolam if you have narrow-angle glaucoma, if you also take itraconazole or ketoconazole, or if you are allergic to alprazolam. Alprazolam can cause birth defects or life-threatening withdrawal symptoms in a newborn.
Alprazolam is used to treat anxiety and panic disorders. It belongs to a class of medications called benzodiazepines which act on the brain and nerves (central nervous system) to produce a calming effect. It works by enhancing the effects of a certain natural chemical in the body (GABA).
Alprazolam may lead to drowsiness, light-headedness, depression, headache, confusion, sleeplessness, nervousness, fainting, dizziness and tiredness, dry mouth, constipation, diarrhoea, nausea/vomiting and increased salivation, fast heart rate and low blood pressure, blurred vision, rigidity and tremor, skin inflammation and allergy, nose congestion and weight gain/loss, loss of concentration and memory.
• Alprazolam+propoxyphene- Using propoxyphene together with Alprazolam may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination.
• Alprazolam+buprenorphine- Using buprenorphine together with other medications that cause central nervous system depression such as Alprazolam can lead to serious side effects such as respiratory distress, coma, or even death.
• Alprazolam+delavirdine- Using Alprazolam and delavirdine are not recommended. Taking these drugs together can cause symptoms of prolonged drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, or weak or shallow breathing.
• Alprazolam+fluconazole- Talk to your doctor before using Alprazolam together with fluconazole. Combining these medications may significantly increase the blood levels and effects of Alprazolam in rare cases. This can lead to increased drowsiness and breathing difficulties.
• Alprazolam+indinavir- Taking Alprazolam together with indinavir can cause symptoms of slurred speech, confusion, severe weakness, or difficulty breathing. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs.
• Alprazolam+voriconazole- Combining Alprazolam and voriconazole may significantly increase the blood levels and effects of Alprazolam in rare cases. This can lead to increased drowsiness and breathing difficulties.
Mechanism of action
Alprazolam belongs to the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. It acts in the brain and alters chemical activity in the brain to decrease abnormal excitement, reduce anxiety and worry, and promotes sleep.
Pregnancy Category : D