What is schizoid personality disorder?
Schizoid personality disorder is a condition that causes you to avoid relationships with other people. You have a lot of trouble understanding and expressing emotions.
What is the cause of Schizoid personality disorder?
The exact cause of this disorder is not known. Possible causes include:
- The brain makes chemicals that affect thoughts, emotions, and actions. There may be problems with the way you think, feel, or act without the right balance of these chemicals. People with this disorder may have too little or too much of some of these chemicals.
- Stress plays a part. You may be at higher risk due to problems such as abuse, financial stresses, or the death of loved ones.
- Problems in your family when you were growing up may increase your risk. For example, if you were often rejected or abused as a child, you might have learned to avoid people as a way to protect yourself. Your risk is higher if someone in your family has schizophrenia.
Schizoid personality disorder usually starts in the late teen years. It is more common in men than in women.
How is Schizoid personality disorder diagnosed?
Your doctor or a mental health therapist will ask about your symptoms and any drug or alcohol use. He or she may also:
- Ask about your relationships with family, friends, and coworkers
- Give you a personality test
- Make sure that any of the medications are not causing or increasing your symptoms
You can also perform some lab tests to extract medical problems.
What are the symptoms of Schizoid personality disorder?
Symptoms may include:
- Almost always choosing to be by yourself
- Not having strong emotions
- Not wanting or enjoying close relationships, even with family members
- Not taking pleasure in activities, including sex
- Seeming cold and not caring about what other people think or feel
How is Schizoid personality disorder treated?
This disorder changes the way you relate to others and the way you think about everyday activities. Therapy may help.
- Behavior therapy helps you recognize that the way you act affects others. This can help you change problem behaviors.
- Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) is a way to help you identify and change your views of yourself, the world, and the future. CBT can make you aware of unhealthy ways of thinking. It can also help you learn new thought and behavior patterns.
Some medicine can be recommended if you also have problems like anxiety or depression. You can be hospitalized if you are suicidal.